Monday, October 15, 2007

Selling work


My friend Lee just purchased several pieces tonight, which was really great to have my work purchased. But I found it nerve wracking during the process. I hear this commentary in my head when the other person is looking at it..judgements I have made about the work. Thinking oh, I really did not like how that surface turned out, or that was just a test piece or I love that piece....

I remember this past spring during the sale at the studio (my first), a friend bought a piece and you will not believe this, but I ACTUALLY said, "Oh, that is my least favorite piece" CRINGE right!! WHERE did that come from. I felt soooo bad saying it....I did not like the effects on it, but ...someone else did. And who am I to judge their taste?

As soon as I said it, I had a feeling like a punch in the gut. I have thought about that experience so much. And some of that same punch in the gut feeling I felt again tonight, but I mostly bit my tongue. Pieces that I LOVED and when my friend was looking at them, I felt my insides shift in a good way, because I was proud of it and had judged it successful. Yet, my friend was not interested in those pieces. End of story, really.

And so I seem to be learning, possibly the hard way, -- Isn't the work viable because it was expressed, completed..., and that is the end of it. I know I did my best on each piece....
Once I feel a piece is complete, I think releasing my feelings and attachments to it is required so I can allow it to now react with whoever it will,.. however it will.

But it feels really hard.

Maybe I need a little releasing ceremony?

Some Dia de los Muertos skulls that are now on to their new journey ...

A few other pieces on a new path....

4 comments:

Becky said...

I like the way you say "pieces on a new path." I'm glad there's more Elaine-energy going out into the world. :)
Speaking of that, hope to see you at CW tonight!

Jen Mecca said...

I've had some hard times of letting my pieces go. People must think I'm crazy when they buy something I like and I've connected with them...I always say " I'm glad its going to a good home!" ( Like I'm selling a kitten or something). When you create something , its a part of you and when people judge it, you feel it more because its a part you made it. They take on a life of there own in your mind.
Wow, I can see into the furture of how its going to be for me when my kids go away!j

Anna said...

This made me think about this --can you put on your blog a way to purchase pieces on a new path? You can put a paypal button and sell pieces. That way you have a kind of anonymous way to sell your work. The buyer doesn't have to worry about having the pressure of the artist letting go of favorites -and you don't have to worry about saying anything but thank you at the conclusion of the purchase. Your thoughts?

Elaine Spallone said...

Jen- Yeah and I can see now why a parent would take the actions of their kids so personally--molded by you in some ways....even though they have lives of their own...kids and clay.

Anna- hmm not sure what you mean. But I am thinking of selling online soon...there is a service called Etsy...in the end I think I just have to get over it...claim them and then let 'em go...