Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Work displayed at Pura Vida

Ok I am very excited about this development!! I summoned the courage months ago and after a series of missed calls, waiting etc. today I met with the owner of this cute shop in Plaza Midwood, Pura Vida . Every year she has a Dia de los Muertos celebration, with all the pieces: a huge alter with flowers, food, photos- she invites the public to bring photos of those they loved and have moved on from this world, - pets, family, friends, movie stars even- she said, and those photos are placed on the alter.

She provides free to those attending the event the traditional day of the dead bread- which is about 6x6" and looks like a skull or cross bones....And she invites local artist to display their artwork, and I am one of them!!! Saturday, October 27 from 7-9:30 is the opening night event

I left today 20 pieces- my Dia de los Muertos skulls and she will display them on the alter and in the display room for artists (the shop also sells a lot of merchandise upfront in the regular shop- cool stuff from Mexico, Europe, Asia, --from jewelry, home decor, books. clothing.) I have been following her shop since it opened years ago...

And here is where my story begins with the reason I even create skulls. See my post

I find this so gratifying and am so grateful for the opportunity to have these Dia de los Muertos skulls displayed in a place and occasion where they will be understood....very exciting.

I was looking at these placemats that you can color and there were different scenes from the day of the dead on them. And one had butteflies- Monarchs -with the question under them: Ever wonder why the Monarchs during their annual migration return to Mexico around the same time of the Day of the Dead: November 1. Which if you look outside right now, you will see Monarchs making their way south...I have been intrigued and completely awed by their migration and feat for years. I would love to create a Monarch Waystation -a place friendly for them since they are losing so much habitat from our enormous land taking, they are losing places to land to eat and lay eggs.

And if you saw some of the latest photos of the skulls you will see that I was suddenly drawing butterflies on them. And thank you to my Mom who for Christmas gave me two books all about butterflies so I could draw them on my pottery. Which was very thoughtful of her...my butterfly fascination goes way back!!!
Here is another: a good idea of all the guys I left at Pura Vida.....And you can buy one too, if you want from the shop . So I am revelling in the synchronicity of the question about the Monarchs and my long time fascination of them...appearing on the skulls. AND I am just realizing now, that Monarchs do return to Mexico....the culture of the day of the dead festival......

I am really looking forward to participating and joining the shop on Saturday for the opening night activities. It will be so fun to see this event live and in action, after exploring it for the past 6 months or so in clay...

Hope you will join me.

3 comments:

Becky said...

Elaine, how wonderful! I've marked my calendar & will be there. Monarch butterflies have intrigued me since I was a child growing up in Wisconsin. They journey far. And so have you. Congratulations!!!

Ron said...

That's great Elaine. I love the butterflies. They fit so well with your forms.

Jay said...

Congrats Elaine! What a cool show for you to be involved in. I know that we will come by and view your work...since you are our favorite potter in the entire world. My second favorite potter is Col. Potter from M*A*S*H, but he wasn't really into art like you are!! I love your blog too...Ms. Blog!