Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Fall Leaves

I continue to gasp and oooo and ahhhh and the amazing Fall color. I drive by a tree and am astounded by the brilliant, intense, potent color on the trees. Just breathtaking. I need to remind my self to stay on the road, because I see these trees while driving through Charlotte.

On the way to work, I took my camera and captured some of the brilliant color!
The first tree I see, the Maple in my front yard. In a few days it will be blazing red.
Oh and the Cherry Tree in my front yard.... and then a few others as I drive to work.

Look at the dusty rays of sun that were caught in this photo....quite unexpected...I was very qucikly just shooting pictures, barely looking through the lens.....


I think about the seasons and how trees, at the end of their cycle, look so beautiful. Then I wish our culture would feel the same way about people. That they too are beautiful in their final years and days. That the deep lines and soft skin are beautiful to behold. What I hear too often is Stay Young, Dye Your Hair, Lift Your Skin, anything to remain young looking. I think that is part of why I like leaving the fingerprints, cracks and holes, and uneven ridges in my ceramics work. It doesn't have to be "all shiny and perfect" to be beautiful.
I learned this too when I sustained a spinal cord injury. One day I was a 21 year old walking around woman with a working body that looked pretty good. Physically fit, flexible, limber. The next day, a body that nowhere around me said looked good...no stomach muscle to hold in the stomach, pancake thighs, swollen ankles....and that is just the tip of the iceburg. I did not look at myself naked fully in a mirror for three years. NO exaggeration. The first time I looked down at my stomach while I was sitting down in a shower, I cried. I looked 5 months pregnant.
But what I came to realize after 5, 6 maybe 7 years of using a wheelchair, was that really really beauty is not the physical ....this sounds OVERUSED- but it really is a decision on the inside.
NO LIE, as soon as I made that decision, I had soooo many people tell me directly, in the grocery store, video store, on the street, friends, etc. that I was beautiful. I had never received this much or direct type of feedback before in my life. (of course the grandmas and great aunts always had said it!!) I know the feedback just affirmed my decision I had already made about myself.
so-where does this leave (leaf!) us?? ....Musings for the day!



2 comments:

Becky said...

Wise musings. And the pictures are beautiful (especially the dust motes in the sunbeams). Thanks for both!

Anonymous said...

very pretty love the one with the sunbeams too!