Sunday, January 27, 2008

Kiln Loaded

Between yesterday and today I completed glazing my pieces so I was ready to load by 12p today. First time I made my kiln on time- actually before the date. I am starting to Understand the time needed for glazing my work and get into a rhythm ...Julie is my kiln loader, and she had time today vs. tomorrow and is flexible so she could help me. yea!!! So it is firing away now and will be ready to unload Tuesday evening. Very exciting. Here are a few photos of the work that is in the kiln right now.


The plates.....before glazing.


A close up view...
The plates after glazing
Another close up view after glazing...
And the Day of the Dead skulls..and the large wall pieces I am working on...another view below....

I have decided to call the plates and cups, pots with the writing on them, Grieving Vessels. I love this for several reasons. One, that is what they are about and what inspired their creation. But I love the word vessel for its quality to hold and travel. The idea that these vessels can hold grief, where I can carry it to new places, transform it, or hold it there indefinitely: whatever is needed at the time. The vessel - connoting a ship or travel- and therefore is the idea that grief can take me somewhere. That I do not have to remain in grief...but instead could actually travel, hopefully, to a healing place/space. And also, that I can still move even though there is grief. So these vessels are a space for all these possibilities. I can feel hope. Or like I said, just to hold grief for me until ready to sail.

I also want to keep the idea of memory , communication in the idea of these vessels....I am sure it all fits....just figuring it out...

I am just starting to articulate the ideas around this name- and these vessels...but I love the name and understanding why I am making them (I think, who knows!)...it is filled with layers of meaning and healing for me. I am sure over time the name and these vessels will continue to reveal themselves to me.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Lady E,

The name, I agree, is good for these lovelies that you are creating. As we progress through life, grieving is inevitably a part of life; the only way to escape grief is to escape life itself. Since that is not an option I entertain, I really love the idea of grieving vessels. They are multi-layered...and can be what they need to be, either to the Maker or the Recipient. In that respect I would consider them to be quite powerful, quite healing.

I can't wait to see these pieces and will be at CW on Tues for class. If I can help at all with the unloading of the kiln, you know I'd love to do so.

Tales of an Artist & his Travelers said...

Love the skulls. Set yourself at peace and it will come to you. I send spirits off to enjoy the world and learn of it.