Monday, February 11, 2008

Remembering Phrates

My sweet cat Euphrates left the earth today at 4:25p. Until today, she determinedly and willfully withstood, what I can only imagine, a great deal of discomfort. She was a very strong cat. Having her liver cyst drained three times, and I feel after that, she said, no more. For the past three months I have watched her shrink to 1/4 of her weight, probably less. I let her know she could go over a month ago, and yet she hung in there. only yesterday did she begin to show me signs that it was time. And after that it all happened very quickly. I agonized that I would not know when, but she let me know very clearly it was time without any doubt, in fact to move quickly to help her move on with the Dr.s help, and for that I am grateful. In our final conversation, when she literally had no strength to move any longer, when her eyes were vacant, as I talked to her , she would gently move her tail talking to me. Such a gift to have her acknowledge and respond and tell me she loved me and will visit and will miss me. It is so sad saying goodbye to my little animal friend. And that she has been for the past 15 years. Hard to believe she has been with me since I was 24. Strong, sweet, clear, stubborn!, queen cat. You will be missed Euphrates.

A photo after her first draining--a little belly shaved a bit. probably taken in May 2007. She looks pretty pissed off about it too.
And then here is one taken a few weeks ago...

12 comments:

Becky said...

Oh, Lady E, I'm sorry to read these words. It's so hard when a loving companion has to journey on. Yet your post is a loving tribute to the bond you shared with 'Phrates. And you're right. Her gifts to you, and yours to her, will live on.

(That recent pic of her is...amazing. It's as if she is giving you a beautiful message there, perhaps?)

Anonymous said...

Elaine, I know that Phrates was surrounded by love for all of her days. We send our love to YOU because we know it is such a difficult time. Thank you for sharing such a beautiful post with us.

Anna

Anonymous said...

Elaine,

I am so sorry about your to read about the loss of your beloved 'Phrates! I am a passionate kitty lover too and I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face as I read about your little one. Big hugs and healing thoughts are what I am sending you!!!

xo
Barbara Chadwick

tales of an artist & his travelers said...

I was wondering about Euphrates. She was your friend and you were hers, that`s what is important. Her spirit is still with you.

Elaine Spallone said...

Thank you everyone for your kind words, thoughts and support. I can feel it and am grateful.

Jen Mecca said...

I am so sorry!!! Oh I know what it is like to put your baby down. I had a cat named Mindy who lived to be 17. She was with me before I met Joey and all that fallowed. She did not like anyone but me and it was the first animal I had to decide to let go. IT was the hardest thing to do and I cried like a baby in the vets office. I am so sorry!! All my thoughts go out to you! Jen

Amy Sanders said...

I'm so sorry Elaine. I'm glad you were able to spend some extra time with her- you were a good friend and caretaker. Kitties are sweet and loving and hard to let go.

Will we be seeing you at the studio during the week now? I look forward to that because you've been missed!

Anonymous said...

Elaine, I am SO sorry to hear about your precious friend 'Phrates. Know that your loved one is in a better place, but still able to keep an eye on you and your doings (don't be starlted if you hear 'Phrates pawing about your home..my cat T'williger hung around for quite a while after his passing...). You and 'Phrates will be reunited someday. Wishing you both many many Blessings!

Ron said...

Elaine, I am sorry to hear about the loss of Phrates. We are lucky to have such loving animals in our lives. They teach us so much.
I hope to see you sometime in the studio. Best,Ron

John "little like sand" said...

Sorry to be late Elaine, but Happy Valentines Day! How is the big mask coming along? I can`t wait to see what you`ve done with the glazes.

doug fitch said...

Elaine
I lost my little cat Butch last week after eighteen years. She was a sweet little animal and we miss her really badly so I know how you feel. Thinking of you from across the pond, Doug(a friend of Ron's)

Jade Johnson said...

Elaine,
I called the Red Cross for you and couldn't reach you. I am so happy I wrote down your blog info! Your work is beautiful!!! I am so sorry to read about the loss of your pet. I can imagine how difficult it is! I wanted to share my portfolio with you and wanted to know if you could help me with a new internship I am applying for.
I know now is not a good time, so whenever you get the chance, I wanted to give you my info its jade.johnson@richmond.edu
7575974504